7/08/2010

Lars and The Real Girl (2007)


(Director) Craig Gillespie
(Writer) Nancy Oliver
(Producer) Sarah Aubrey
(Distributor) Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
More often than not, whenever Hollywood dips into the realm of psychological illnesses, there tends to be two genres that hog the spotlight; thriller and comedy. In thriller films a mental illness or form of anxiety disorder is used as a motive for the lead antagonist's murders or evil deeds. While in the spectrum of comedy a mental deficiency is a comedic relief or a light-hearted joke; innocent humor to light the mood. Given we are treated to films such as "Rain Man" and "Forrest Gump" over the decades but even their handicapped protagonists push the limits of cliches and over the top drama. It's not often that we're given the chance to experience a main character who comes off as genuinely challenged and whose internal struggles come off as so depressingly real to the point that you actually feel like you're one of the surrounding people in their life being affected. "Lars and The Real Girl", while not perfect, is one of those films.
The story centers around Lars Lindstrom (Ryan Gosling), our troubled lead character who lives in a garage belonging to his brother Gus (Paul Shcneider) and pregnant sister-in-law Karin (Emily Mortimer). As the story progresses we learn that Lars and Gus' mother passed away in the middle of Lars' birth. Thus leaving his father alone to mourn and fall into a depression that frightened Gus to the point of selfishly leaving the house at an early age and never looking back. We come to piece together that this series of events involving guilty and abandonment are the cause of Lars' current mental state; a pool of self-esteem, extreme social anxiety, issues with attachment and extreme fear of reliance. Eventually (apparently) reaching a breaking point, Lars orders a Real Doll (link NSFW) and falls madly in love.
An absolutely thrilling risk this film takes is deviating from the expected and not losing credibility. It doesn't try too hard or use recycled gags to get you involved with the plot. Reading about the premise and seeing photographs from the film's production led me to believe that what I was going to watch would be humorous. Nothing made me think there would be any serious tones or heart wrenching moments. It comes off as something Michael Cera would star in; artistic comedy that might take itself too seriously but still raise some laughs. Even in the first ten minutes of the film you get this feeling that you're about to sit through an awkward comedy and nothing more. It surprised me when, after the first act, the entire film took on a completely different tone. You suddenly went from chuckles every minute to thought provoking, tear inducing moments with some light giggles here and there. The entire movie has a refreshing feel to it.
Throughout the film I noticed there were times where the plot felt a bit empty, rushed and unrealistic. There's a point in the storyline where we learn that Lars is extremely uncomfortable with physical human contact to the point that a simple grabbing of his arm causes an intense burning sensation throughout his body. This issue is emphasized greatly during a scene where Lars removes his coat and allows someone else to touch his arm for a few moments before getting extremely panicky. After that the subject is touched down on one more time before being forgotten entirely. Something that bothered me quite a bit is the film never provides a good transition into Lars' decision to buying the Real Doll. In the beginning of the film the character seems completely uninterested and slightly disgusted with the idea of owning one. Yet he suddenly buys one and the scene immediately beforehand provides no basis for this decision what-so-ever. And as for unrealism: throughout the entire film the residents of the town never truly object to the idea of someone dating a doll. I bought that the community accepted the idea and even tried to help but there were no struggles along the way. No road blocks, no confrontation, nothing. It felt way too catered to the main character and that sucked away a decent amount of emotional involvement.
Beyond those three factors the film is very enjoyable to watch and there are plenty of moments where your eyes will turn on some waterworks. The laughs are there and clever but for me, only in the form of giggles or chuckles, nothing laugh out loud worthy. To accompany the storyline is a great script and some fantastic acting. Ryan Gosling and Emily Mortimer put on a terrific performance in this film. You couldn't have asked for more convincing emotions, even amongst some of the wishy-washy plot development.
One last thing I want to touch down on is that this film supplies you with a great journey. The end isn't completely satisfying and the beginning goes by a little too fast but the middle is crisp, clean and extremely engaging. It's one of those films where you have to actually think about what you're watching in order to receive the best of the emotions. I don't know if it was the really good directing, wonderful screenplay or the acting but you feel as though you're watching the progression of a challenged individual's healing. Almost as though you're sitting there, in Lars' mind and feeling what he feels as he learns important lessons in the harsh reality of life.

9 comments:

  1. What strikes me, reading your review, is this movie, like many others in the loosely defined genre, is that the movie just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. You mention that it has some emotionally powerful moments, but is it ever truly focused on the emotions or is it just a flipped emotion to get to a more lighthearted scene?

    "Light Dramedy" would be an appropriate title for the genre, but my problem is that most films in the genre tend to be watered down. Neither dramatically gripping or gut bustingly funny. Movies that confuse your emotions, laugh or cry, rage or pity, tend to end in an unsatisfactory manner, and it's a real shame.

    I'm not ragging on the movie, or others like it, I just find myself being disappointed by the premise of comedy and the actuality of drama, or the other way around. A movie about a man loving a doll, based on simple premise, should be something humorous, not unlike "The 40 Year Old Virgin", but when you get in the movie and it makes you feel morose, it's a weird feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, sorry about how rambling my previous comment is. It's a tad on the late side over here.

    And question: How do you formulate your numerical rating? If you don't want to share, that's fine and I completely understand, I'm just curious. With reviews, I like a clearly explained and logical numerical review (i.e GameTrailer's video game reviews), OR not including a number at all, thus forcing the reader to have to draw on the context of the actual review instead of having it neatly boxed in a x out of y format. It's just too easy to read the numbers before you begin the review and let those same digits dictate the tone the article is written in. At the same time, not having a numerical scale can lead to people not grasping your tone used in the review.

    Okay, I'm done rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I work with adolescents with mental health challenges including anxiety disorders so this movie review grabs my attention. I don't remember hearing about this movie when it was in theaters--glad I checked in here to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now over aware of psychologists in movies. I liked the one in this one. And I really liked Gosling's acting in this. He was extremely convincing and acted like a confused detached person who desperately wanted a normal couple-life. I feel like it became like a secret excuse to become connected with the people around him in society, being involved and acknowledged instead of being asked over and over about if he was going to date, and yet have a safety blanket to guide him through.
    Fun to watch with you, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I might like this movie. I will give it a try, although my husband probably won't "get it". Thank you. The review was very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Audrey

    yeah, it was a very big name title, a lot of people just looked over it, but I had a few of my good customers at Hollywood Video tell me I would like it, so I was curious Weston's take on it, your review does make me wanna watch it though, it's sounds kind of like what I expected minus the emotional parts, didn't see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the review. Keep the honesty coming. Will definitely look at renting this one. I have never heard of it. It sounds intriguing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good writing. I probably will not find time to go to this movie, so I enjoyed your summary and critique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @SirEdward -

    I can honestly say that the movie does an excellent job at holding true to its emotional journey. There are moments where a silly gag or comedic encounter is put on screen to mix up the flow of the film up a bit but the entire thing, beginning to end, is pretty emotional. I understand what you mean when a movie confuses your emotions and isn't sure what it wants to be and can't decide on a tone. Trust me, this film isn't like that.

    As for my rating system, it's an overall sense of personal feeling toward the film. I've always felt like the numbers hardly mean a thing in the end and you should listen to what the reviewer says, not what number he puts up. The number is only there as a guide for those who cannot hear the tones in my writing. Because I won't be able to connect to every person, some will need that number to have a sense of clarity with what is written above.

    I've always felt that the way video game reviews are structured wouldn't work for film reviews. It would get far too technically and watered down, barely leaving any room for actually exploring the film. I have to say it would be EASIER to split reviews into categories; editing, directing, acting, story, etc. but I feel it becomes too much like a formula that people expect. It gives people more of a reason to just skim through the review instead of paying attention to the detail. Works for games due to what's expected of them but not for movies, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete